Item Search

BG-Wiki Search
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Old Merits
    BG Level

PUP: Coiler, Steam Jacket, Ob, and You.

Re: PUP: Coiler, Steam Jacket, Ob, and You.

This info would look awesome here. :D

Pseudo rate-up for the awsome post! And I loooove the picture hehe. Glad to know my rough test was fairly on the mark, though it was with optic fiber, so coiler was slightly enhanced.

Melee Summoner
    BG Level

Silly reminder, but just in case: make sure you aren't equipping the optic fiber when you test this.

As for my steam jacket numbers, you left out an important part. For those that don't know, I'm pretty sure it's just like the analyzer. No, you don't have to keep a water maneuver active... in fact, the 25% reduction procs with no maneuvers active, so that should be obvious. The key is, the puppet has to be hit multiple times by the same damage type. For example, if you get nuked with waterga twice, it'll reduce the damage by 25% on the second hit. However, if you get hit by a stonega, then a waterga, it'll do nothing. I don't think you can get to the 35%/45%/60% reductions unless you've been nuked three, four, and five times by the same element or damage type. If a mob has a bunch of moves that are all thunder-based or something, I think it'll count all of them towards the damage reduction. The second you get hit with a different element the reduction resets though.

If you want to verify this for yourselves or help test, it's pretty easy to do. Just go outside and find a DC colibri. Sub /BLM and start casting some -ga spells on it and see what happens. If it's like the analyzer, the damage should be not only a function of maneuvers, but also how many times you've been hit by the same element. I haven't confirmed the number of times you have to get hit yet, but I know it doesn't do anything until the second hit, so I assume the rest are the same. I did the tests three separate times, and they all came out the same. (Once for bubble shower, once for thundaga, and once for thundaga with the optic fiber.) The percentages do look pretty weird, but I double checked them a couple times for all three tests, so I guess they're legit.

I don't know where Midnightmemory got his numbers. I don't give them credibility though, because I have no idea how he tested it. I'm pretty sure he has no clue how it functions, from the water maneuver comment. Also, overdrive doesn't enhance any attachments, so that shouldn't have been surprising either. I think he just rushed numbers out the door so he could get rate-ups on the auction house or something.

I think the steam jacket is different from the analyzer in a couple ways:

Analyzer
    Counts the name of a special move.
    I theorize that it may also reduce durations of status effects inflicted by special moves.
    Reduces less damage.
    Works on any special move, including 1000 needles.

Steam Jacket
    Counts the element or damage type of an attack, spell, or special move.
    Reduces more damage.
    Does not work on 1000 needles. (May imply it will not work on other things.)

I'm pretty sure both of them stack as well. I know they definitely stack multiplicatively with MDB. i.e. Take the damage you would receive after factoring in MDB, then multiply it by the analyzer or steam jacket percentages. I'm not sure how the two stack with each other yet.

With everything equipped, I'd expect to see magical attacks reduced by 50% or more, even with no maneuvers on. MDB will reduce damage to ~80%, reduce another 75% for the steam jacket, and another 90% for the analyzer. If they stack like I think they do, it'll be: 0.8 * 0.75 * 0.9 = 54%

The first time the puppet is hit, it'll land for 80% damage. After that, it should be a lot better. Pretty good attachments for those spammy mobs.

Salvage Bans
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Vigilia Dulaurier
    FFXIV Server
    Ragnarok
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Great post, thank you for the information.

Old Merits
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Nateypoo
    The first time the puppet is hit, it'll land for 80% damage. After that, it should be a lot better. Pretty good attachments for those spammy mobs.
    Yeah they really did give Valor a nice buff. I'll add the info with Analyzer though in brief, since people can just read the whole thread for even more tests. Thanks for the input ;3

A. Body
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus

Very nice but one thing.

To make OB change you don't have to have 2 manuevers of the same type. I had Thunder Wind and Dark up with Sharpshot and he changed before I put up the Dark. Did this about 3 times.

Old Merits
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Meian
    Very nice but one thing.

To make OB change you don't have to have 2 manuevers of the same type. I had Thunder Wind and Dark up with Sharpshot and he changed before I put up the Dark. Did this about 3 times.
    Ooo so it seems Any 2 combination of whichever frame?

God the list is endless D;

Sea Torques
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

As far as killing Ob goes, I'm sure having a PUP helps, but just bringing stunners for magic mortar also works. We killed Ob twice Sunday night while doing random ZNMs. Our setup was WHMx2 RDM PLD BLU SAM THF COR BLM. The BLU and the BLM stunned any time they saw magic mortar. First fight was no problem at all (got a steam jacket and that earring too). Second fight Ob did get a mortar off, it did 1200 to the PLD and he died cause he blinked a lot T.T but still really doable. That being said I'm not sure why jobs other than PUP would care about this ZNM, personally I fought it because I wanted a cerise seal for the next tier and knew someone who was leveling PUP and might like the earring.

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Sath Fenrir
    FFXIV Server
    Cactuar
    FFXI Server
    Fenrir

Quote Originally Posted by Hoshiku
    As far as killing Ob goes, I'm sure having a PUP helps, but just bringing stunners for magic mortar also works. We killed Ob twice Sunday night while doing random ZNMs. Our setup was WHMx2 RDM PLD BLU SAM THF COR BLM. The BLU and the BLM stunned any time they saw magic mortar. First fight was no problem at all (got a steam jacket and that earring too). Second fight Ob did get a mortar off, it did 1200 to the PLD and he died cause he blinked a lot T.T but still really doable. That being said I'm not sure why jobs other than PUP would care about this ZNM, personally I fought it because I wanted a cerise seal for the next tier and knew someone who was leveling PUP and might like the earring.
    Money.

Melee Summoner
    BG Level

I'm sure you can kill anything the hard way with an alliance. If you use a PUP to change forms you can duo it, or even solo it if the PUP doesn't feel like sticking around. I've fought it a few times the hard way though. If he rages, he may spam mortar faster than you can stun (literally faster than his melee swings). It's not unreasonable to see it wipe half your party in seconds if you get unlucky. It's far better to just have one of those eight people come as a level 1 PUP and turn the fight into a {Yawn}fest.

Old Merits
    BG Level

I'm sure you can kill anything the hard way with an alliance. If you use a PUP to change forms you can duo it, or even solo it if the PUP doesn't feel like sticking around. I've fought it a few times the hard way though. If he rages, he may spam mortar faster than you can stun (literally faster than his melee swings). It's not unreasonable to see it wipe half your party in seconds if you get unlucky. It's far better to just have one of those eight people come as a level 1 PUP and turn the fight into a {Yawn}fest.
    PUP actually fills quite a good spot if you're decked out in DD Gear and have a fully meritted Valoredge. With coiler and stuff he'll swinng for around 130 DMG, and 180 crits on Ob in Harlequin mode.

Old Merits
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by SathFenrir
    Money.
    Seconded. Steam Jacket, before the testing was done, was going for 10k because people saw it as the "Useless" drop. I nabbed mine for 20k, but I'm sure it will go up in price now (most?) PUPs have thier stuff from Ob, and it'll soon be in high demand, much like Analyzer and Optic Fibre were. (lol @ one guy back on Fenrir buying it for 1mil when it first came out).

Coiler, on the other hand, is going for 100k+ on Fairy at the moment. Which is just plain retarded and will never sell at all. This being said, Ob is the only Teir 1 that can drop non Ex sellable items. (Even lolDrum Magazine, selling at 40k+). Plus now you can lock him into an easy mode, with a 5 min respawn, it's a pretty nifty money scrounger.

Also hi Sath ilu <3

Sea Torques
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

lol the only person I know of in that group who even had pup unlocked was the RDM and I'd rather have a RDM than a level 1 pup. It was a quick fight with 9 people, I honestly think we could have done it with fewer. and yeah, i was surprised when i learned that the parts were decent, steam jacket is 300k on asura and coiler is going for somewhere between 300k-500k, of course i figure prices of these parts will drop drastically as more people fight Ob.

assburgers
    BG Level

Old Merits
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

I havn't fought Ob yet, do you think you could really solo it or even duo it? What jobss besides the 1 pup.

Old Merits
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by solsovly
    I havn't fought Ob yet, do you think you could really solo it or even duo it? What jobss besides the 1 pup.
    RNG frame can still get cheap shots in. Like wiping shadows with Slapstick then using Daze. Managed to kill our NIN in 3 seconds. I'd always go with at least 4 people. PLD RDM PUP DD

E. Body
    BG Level
    WoW Realm
    Ysera

This is an awesome post, thanks for getting it all together! :D

well i'm sorry but my question has no effect on ob's drop but since its talking about Pup i dont wanna create a new post just cauz of it.
    Here is my question, if any are pup, you prolly killed marids with ur blm frame and once a chigoe popd just flash bulb killed it, but have you try since update? cauz i always do it for spending my time, and now, each time a marid pops a chigoe and my pet flash it, its no more killing it, simply thought i was a glitch or sumthing like that so i went in Rolanb [S] and found one chigoe there, same deal, flash but nothing, tried with SS and still nothing, Did SE cancelled the one-shot JA possibility? T.T

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Sath Fenrir
    FFXIV Server
    Cactuar
    FFXI Server
    Fenrir

Quote Originally Posted by Jkun
    Quote Originally Posted by SathFenrir
    Money.
    Seconded. Steam Jacket, before the testing was done, was going for 10k because people saw it as the "Useless" drop. I nabbed mine for 20k, but I'm sure it will go up in price now (most?) PUPs have thier stuff from Ob, and it'll soon be in high demand, much like Analyzer and Optic Fibre were. (lol @ one guy back on Fenrir buying it for 1mil when it first came out).

Coiler, on the other hand, is going for 100k+ on Fairy at the moment. Which is just plain retarded and will never sell at all. This being said, Ob is the only Teir 1 that can drop non Ex sellable items. (Even lolDrum Magazine, selling at 40k+). Plus now you can lock him into an easy mode, with a 5 min respawn, it's a pretty nifty money scrounger.

Also hi Sath ilu <3
    <3333 Made like 600k easy week 1 of this update without really any effort whatsoever. Was nice.