Closed Thread
Page 1 of 24 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

Thread: Ravin Raven(discovered!)     submit to reddit submit to twitter

Salvage Bans
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Carbuncle

Ravin Raven(discovered!)

So I decided to create a topic about the "Goblin Wolfman" of Aht'Urhgan, Ravin Raven. I'm going to go into detail with alot of misc. facts that don't have much to do with the actual NM, but can stimulate creative thinking.

History

The July 2006 patch added Notorious Monsters to Aht'Urhgan. 90% of all of the popular NMs that are in Aht'Urhgan were added in this patch (Jaded Jody, Big Bomb, Emergent Elm, Hydra, Zikko, all of the Besieged NMs, BloodyBones, ect. ect.). All of the newly added items were found on their corresponding NMs; All but one: Birdman Cape. At this time, .dat miners also discovered Ravin Raven in the Caedarva Mire monster/npc file right at the bottom of the list of all the new NMs. The name Ravin Raven combined with the name of the missing item, Birdman Cape seemed like a perfect fit.

Marsh Murre: Caedarva is home to many many bird monsters, called Marsh Murre. This seemed to match up in more ways than one. If one thing can be said about monster names in FFXI, it's that SE loves their play on words. They like silly names that make sense and are creative and fun: (Leaping Lizzy, Zizzy Zillah, Jaggedy-Eared Jack). A similarity with Marsh Murre and Ravin Raven is that they both have 5 letters, and they both begin with the same letter on both words. M&M, R&R. Another similarity is that that are other birds in zones that follow the same name pattern (Carrion Crow). There are also other "Ravens" in the game such as Arboricole Raven and Nightmare Raven. Something unsimiliar is that Ravin Raven does not match up with other bird NM names (Helldiver, Nihniknoovi, Nunyenunc).

Outside of the name game, you find that there are tons and tons of birds in Caedarva Mire that could be potential placeholders. West of Nashmau, in the area leading to the graveyard, there are 4-5 birds which are commonly exp'd upon, which rules out any chance of them being lottery pop there. The graveyard itself is also used commonly as an exp spot, which rules out the lottery there. East of Nashmau, all around the big pond, there are tons of Marsh Murre, which are used by BST and by exp parties often aswell. I've personally killed or watched every bird in this area be killed numerous times and no pop. There are 2 remaining birds in the area, near where Peallaidh pops. Both are commonly used by BST, and I've killed them several times. This rules out all the Birds in Caedarva mire being lottery pop for Ravin Raven.

Merrow No.5: Shortly after the patch, many people found on Japanese forums that Birdman cape drops from Merrow No.5 in Arrapago Reef. Many people have killed this NM several times and it has never dropped the cape. The cape has never appeared on the auctionhouse on any server (according to ffxiah), and this rumor probably originated due to Merrow No.5 being a BRD, and the cape having +9 CHR.

Qutrub: At the same time people were reporting Merrow No.5, a reliable japanese website listed Ravin Raven as being a Qutrub. Many people (mostly japanese) have exp'd on the Lamia Idolaters out in Dvucca Isle. While there are tons of Qutrub there and with their quick repops it's hard for a PT to kill them all, but I know most of them have been killed quite a few times.

Bhoot: A few days later, that same JP website changed Ravin Raven's monster family from Qutrub > Ghost. A few people said it pops from the Guard Bhoot at G-10. Myself and a few friends went to that camp to kill placeholder (20:00 - 4:00 pop). You can kill it about 3 times before it turns to morning. After it not popping after a few hours, we tried one of the other Bhoots, but no pop. There is 1 more Bhoot in the zone which I've never tried.

Treants & Rams: I've taken people to exp off of the treants and rams in an uncommon spot in Caedarva. You have to exit through a place in Arrapago to get there. After a few hours of killing every Ram/Treant there, no pop.

Fomors: All the Fomors in the Caedarva are commonly exp'd on. The ones in the small section north of the Ashu Talif zone... I have killed these for an hour before (5min respawn, so I got a good amount of kills in), and no pop.

Lamia & Skeletons: There are several Lamia and Skeletons placed throughout the zone. Specifically on Dvucca. While I don't think many people have killed the skeletons near the Qutrub, I've taken a party to kill the skeletons in the section north of the Ashu Talif. To get there, you have to go through Arrapago and past near where Medusa spawns, to exit back out. Theres several Qutrub, Lamia, and Skeletons there. I've killed a few Qutrub and Lamia before, and I spent a good couple of hours killing the Skeletons.... no pop.

???: All of the ??? in the zone are accounted for and used for quests/missions.

Anyways, I know this is all sort-of random and crazy... and most people probably don't care about this NM, but it bugs me that this hasn't been discovered yet. There are several possibilities that I've yet to go into, like it being a Leech, Puktrap, Slime, Chigoe(>.>). I'm still inclined to be that somehow, its a Bird. The thought of it being like Rose Garden has crossed my mind, but I think those NMs were very poorly designed(cool on paper, idiotic in-game). I would've hoped SE learned that making an NM that could potentially never pop is a bad idea, but you never know. Also, all the "don't touch the PH"-NMs were all in 1 patch, and they never added anything like that before/after(hopefully). Another thing against this theory... as popular as it is to exp off of the birds in Caedarva, I think that over the course of the last 15 months, at least one of the servers would've by chance not touched any of the birds there for a random time of 9-12 hours. The only spot in Caedarva that I would think has never gotten a break, would be the Imp/fly/jnun camp right outside the staging point.

In conclusion, I'd like to see if anyone else has tried anything for this NM... and maybe people can come up with their own ideas.

Re: Ravin Raven

Have you(Has anyone...) tried mobs near through Silver sea?

Two thoughts I have on this are:

1. Typically, as I think we've seen in the past, with Ulli, for instance, you can see place holders tied with their respective NMs somehow in Dats. Right? If so, perhaps it'd help you identify the pop of the NM?

2. Another good idea is to examine how other NMs in that same patch were conditionalized. Unfortunately, from what I know of Aht Urghan NMs, many pop in different ways. Merrow No. 9(?) pops when you conveniantly have someone die in a certain area. Big Bomb is a force pop. Mamool Ja's Puckha (sp) is a lottery, but has an interesting twist about it.

Anyway, I know I'm not being of a whole lot of help, but I'll go out and explore around when I can. I'm fairly certain you're right about it being a bird.

just to confirm, ravin raven was added before khimera, correct? then again, this doesn't rule out it existing on khimera island in some back corner either. SE is known to add things to dats today and use them tomorrow.

I remember researching this NM,

I come to believe that it is a bhoot type mob on Dvuuca isle but with Khiamera island it could be there... maybe its a soulflayer?

New Spam Forum
    BG Level

Oh man, wouldn't it suck if it was an imp NM where its PH can't be touched for 12 hours....and its PH is that first imp you see thats in the way when you leave the azouph isle staging area?

Seriously though, yeah it could be a lottery off some obscure imp in some far corner on the island where Khim pops that no one ever kills because of all the soul flayers and pure unaccessibility of that particular camp.

Relic Shield
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Shiva

Can't you just look in the .dats to see which zone it's in?
    Obviously not exactly where and how it pops, but just the zone would help.

The God Damn Kuno
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kuno Sedai
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Quote Originally Posted by spooky
    Its Caedarva Mire, but it has 50 bajillion areas to it.

E. Body
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Fenrir

I don't even want this cape, but that doesn't mean I'm not fascinated by this NM. I used to camp Noble Mold before his spawn conditions were locked down, same with Vivian and Vilma. Rare NM's are a lot of fun for someone who likes hunting obscure things... Detective work, really.

I'll be following this thread and maybe do a bit of exploring on my own. It's been too long for this NM to not show up...

Nidhogg
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Odin
    WoW Realm
    Lightbringer

I am interested in this as well. I might play around in the mire sometime this week when I get a few moments. It is alot of ground to cover though...

Old Merits
    BG Level

Along the same lines, anyone ever figure out how to pop Almighty Apkallu?

Yoshi P
    BG Level
    WoW Realm
    Arthas

Quote Originally Posted by Not Kuno
    Quote Originally Posted by spooky
    Its Caedarva Mire, but it has 50 bajillion areas to it.
    But can't you determine its general location by its placement in the mob list?

Last I heard, the theory was that he would only spawn when you've lost the Astral Candescence, but that may have been debunked.

Edit: In response to the Almighty Apkallu question.

A. Body
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Alistaire Lexander
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas

Quote Originally Posted by Foustian
    Last I heard, the theory was that he would only spawn when you've lost the Astral Candescence, but that may have been debunked.

That's what I heard. Whitegate -> Nashmau ferry, with AC lost. Besieged is too hard to lose now though, good luck with that.

Fake Numbers
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Kazeryushin
    I remember researching this NM,

I come to believe that it is a bhoot type mob on Dvuuca isle but with Khiamera island it could be there... maybe its a soulflayer?
    I believe the Nyzul Isle area of Caedarva Mire was released after the NM patch so that rules out that zone.

The God Damn Kuno
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kuno Sedai
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Quote Originally Posted by Alistaire

That's what I heard. Whitegate -> Nashmau ferry, with AC lost. Besieged is too hard to lose now though, good luck with that.
    Last I heard Bahamut still doesn't have it.

HABS SUCK!!!!!
    Sepukku is my Hero
    Therrien's Cum Dumpster

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Gilgamesh

Dats wont help.

NPC/Monster List Entry 0104F136 Ephramadian Shade
    NPC/Monster List Entry 0104F137 Ephramadian Shade
    NPC/Monster List Entry 0104F138 Draugar Servant
    NPC/Monster List Entry 0104F139 Draugar Servant
    NPC/Monster List Entry 0104F13A Lamia Toxophilite
    NPC/Monster List Entry 0104F13B Draugar Servant
    NPC/Monster List Entry 0104F13C Draugar Servant
    NPC/Monster List Entry 0104F13D Draugar's Wyvern
    NPC/Monster List Entry 0104F13E Draugar Servant
    NPC/Monster List Entry 0104F13F Lamia Chaukidar
    NPC/Monster List Entry 0104F140 Lamia Idolater
    NPC/Monster List Entry 0104F141 Lamia Idolater
    NPC/Monster List Entry 0104F142 Lamia Idolater
    NPC/Monster List Entry 0104F143 Lamia Idolater
    NPC/Monster List Entry 0104F144 Lamia Deathdancer
    NPC/Monster List Entry 0104F145 Dark Rider
    NPC/Monster List Entry 0104F146 Dark Bugler
    NPC/Monster List Entry 0104F147 Dark Bugler
    NPC/Monster List Entry 0104F148 Dark Bugler
    NPC/Monster List Entry 0104F149 Dark Esquire
    NPC/Monster List Entry 0104F14A Dark Esquire
    NPC/Monster List Entry 0104F14B Dark Esquire
    NPC/Monster List Entry 0104F14C Peallaidh
    NPC/Monster List Entry 0104F14D Zikko
    NPC/Monster List Entry 0104F14E Caedarva Toad
    NPC/Monster List Entry 0104F14F Jazaraat
    NPC/Monster List Entry 0104F150 Ravin Raven
    NPC/Monster List Entry 0104F151 Lamia No.27
    NPC/Monster List Entry 0104F152 Moshdahn
    ***AFTER HERE APPENDED WHEN KHIM WAS ADDED***
    NPC/Monster List Entry 0104F153 Heraldic Imp
    NPC/Monster List Entry 0104F154 Heraldic Imp
    NPC/Monster List Entry 0104F155 Heraldic Imp
    NPC/Monster List Entry 0104F156 Soulflayer
    NPC/Monster List Entry 0104F157 Soulflayer
    NPC/Monster List Entry 0104F158 Heraldic Imp
    NPC/Monster List Entry 0104F159 Heraldic Imp
    NPC/Monster List Entry 0104F15A Soulflayer
    NPC/Monster List Entry 0104F15B Heraldic Imp

Bagel
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Midnightjade Eleven
    FFXIV Server
    Midgardsormr
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

Good thread. I can confirm it's probably not a lottery or timed spawn from the birds west of Nashmau or in the graveyard or immediate surroundings. I've soloed around 100,000xp out there on BST and BRD/BST and have killed all the bird spawns in those areas many many times each. I've also spent a bit of time just looking around out there while not interfering with the local fauna, although I can't rule out a Rose Garden-type situation.

Old Merits
    BG Level

That's what I've heard too.

Maybe I'm just unlucky though, I've camped it probably 4 or 5 times when the AC was gone and got no pop.

Sorry to post semi-off topic.

Quote Originally Posted by Not Kuno

Last I heard Bahamut still doesn't have it.
    We shouldn't have done Salvage while Al Zhabi was under attack...

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 24 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast