1. You are currently viewing a section that predates the release of FFXIV:ARR and the information you see here is most likely outdated and/or useless.
  1. FFXIV Reset Timers
    Last daily reset was 11 hours, 38 minutes ago / Next daily reset is in 12 hours, 21 minutes
    Last weekly reset was 2 days, 4 hours, 38 minutes ago / Next weekly reset is in 4 days, 5 hours, 21 minutes
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    I Am, Who I Am.
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Trixi Sephyuyx
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

Nvidia Magazine Exclusive Article.

Ganked from Core.

http://i424.photobucket.com/albums/p...0/Scan0001.jpg

http://i424.photobucket.com/albums/p...0/Scan0002.jpg

http://i424.photobucket.com/albums/p...0/Scan0003.jpg

"And what did you do at work today, honey?"
    "Oh, I just created a new world, designed a new planet and some critters to roam the hills and valleys, and outlined the designs for the players that are gonna run around and shoot 'em all."
    "That's nice, dear--What are you going to do on the seventh day?"
    Building the next generation of massively multiplayer online worlds actually requires years of dedication to concept, design, and execution. Big franchises and bigger teams are crafting the spaces online gamers willl inhabit for the next decade. That requires a talent and commitment level of a flavor that is unique to the games industry, and we're taking you inside the process to reveal what it takes to bring virtual universes to life.
    What's clear about the next wave of MMO is that graphics are no longer and afterthought--developers are finally tapping into the full power of the GPU to bring cutting-edge visuals to the genre

http://i424.photobucket.com/albums/p...0/Scan0004.jpg

Few gaming franchises combine the longevity, critical approval, and fan adoration that defines the Final Fantasy series. This 14th iteration (not counting all the various off-shoots, side projects, and even animated films) moves the franchise online for the second time (The first time was 2002's Final Fantasy XI). But a brand new world--Hydaelyn--and a new setting on that world called Eorzea require a vast amount of new art concepts, design, and creation--all occurring under the watchful eye of art director Akihiko Yoshido-san. Nvision tapped Yoshida-san for exclusive insights into the process his team goes through to remain within the traditions of the franchise while developing fresh new locations for online gamers to explore.

"The Variety of playing styles available will be considerably greater than that of Final Fantasy XI," Yoshida-san says of the scope of content being created. Hydaelyn blends sci-fi and fantasy elements, as seen in the early images released, leading to a large variety of disparate style needing to be blended into a cohesive world vision. "To deliver the graphics necessary to bring the variety of gameplay to life, we are striving to produce sharp images that are contextually appropriate to the time, place, and situation. An example of this would be the visually stimulating or evocative landscapes," says Yoshida-san, adding, "To help fulfill the expectations that players have cine ti have of afinal fantasy world. One of the first things we take into account is a certain sense of reality. For example, we have paid a great deal of attention to the effects that the passage of time or changes in the weather have on how light is displayed."

Still, veterans of Final Fantasy XI will see some similarities in the character styles and professions, even though the specific races and classes will be new to the series. "The character creation from Final Fantasy XIV will be much more in-depth than that of previous titles of the series," says Yoshida-san, "Players will be able to generate avatars similar to thos in Final Fantasy XI if they choose to do so, but there will also be some new [player character] types." Want more specifics on the new characters? The devs are keeping that information tightly under wraps. though five distinctive races have been revealed so far.

http://i424.photobucket.com/albums/p...0/Scan0005.jpg

http://i424.photobucket.com/albums/p...0/Scan0006.jpg

http://i424.photobucket.com/albums/p...0/Scan0007.jpg

Incredibly, Square-Enix released the single-player Final Fantasy XIII while working on this MMO off-shoot. The games share certain technology details such as the core engine and the tools used to build the worlds, bu the process, challenges, and ultimate requirements are significantly different. More surprising yet is the fact that the world of Hydaelyn revealed in the first release of FFXIV may actually be smaller than the locations crammed on to the Blu-ray disc shipping for FFXIII on PS3. "Since we are still in development a thorough comparison isn't possible, but at releast FFXIB will be about the same scale, if not slightly smaller, than FFXIII," says Yoshida-san.

But that's not to suggest the game world will actually be small. Shortly after its release in Japan, it was revealed that enough content for an entire additional game ended up on the FFXIII cutting-room floor. These game worlds are always massive...and complicated. While Square-Enix is keeping many gameplay details under wraps, five races have been revealed (the Hyur, Lalafell, Miqo'te, Roegadyn, and Elezen) with character classes organized in four discipline types (Disciples of War, Magic, the Land, and the Hand). The races, classes, and disciplines require an intriguing blend of art assets to capture the vast scope of this world. "The world of FFXIV will have certain sci-fi elements such as out-of-place artifacts, perhaps best exemplified by airships," says Yoshida-san. "These elements will play a key role in distinguishing the cultures and civilizations of different nations, regions, and races, but they will not be extremely numerous," adds Yamamoto-san. "We are seeking to create a fantasy world with its core in classic sword-and-sorcery that players will never grow tired of visiting, no matter how much they play."

Veterans of FFXI may, come actual release, recognize certain elements of the class structure, but the developers are happy to point out that lessons learned from the development will be incorporated into a tighter, more focused online Final Fantasy experience. "It would be more accurate to say that we are attempting to achieve a development process that take full advantage of the know-how obtained from Final Gantasy XI while also improving on its shortcomings," says Yoshida-san. "Given the differences in the worlds, there will be no direct transplants from Final Fantasy XIII," he adds, "however, player can expect to see some of the classic monsters from the Final Fantasy series making an appearance, a number of which will be undergoing a makeover from FFXI."

Some of those enhancements will come courtesy of close working relationship between nvidia and the Square-Enix engineers and art department to optimize the vast environments and detailed characters for nvidia GPUs. And you heard it here first: Square Enix is also investigating options to incorporate 3D Vision support.

Like so many in-game details, further specifics on these relationships and what they may deliver to gamers in the year ahead and not being disclosed. Of course, given the evolving development process that MMOs undertake post-launch, many other high-end elements could find their way into the code and your game experience. "We are putting in place a system that will allow us to continually implement fresh, new designs while simultaneously taking precautions to ensure that there is no 'design inflation' early on," says Yoshida-san. "Allowances are also being made for future expansion of the game."

That, for fans of the Final Fantasy universe, is very, very good news. As if the single-player Final Fantasy XIII wasn't enough content, this super-stylized sci-fi epic with swords and sorcery elements will provide even cross-server gaming between locations to keep you entertained for years. And in that time, you'll get to wander some incredible locations, gaze in awe at mind-boggling structures, and craft details on your own character that place it undeniably in the Final Fantasy universe.

http://i424.photobucket.com/albums/p...0/Scan0008.jpg

I Am, Who I Am.
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Trixi Sephyuyx
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

By twisting their words, supposedly theres a chance for new races, classes, and minigames.

Muh...

Kirb

I want to see the shader they created to emulate final gathering.

Melee Summoner
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

Awesome stuff, nice post.

I felt the whole time as if I had already read this somewhere...

Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

Some of those enhancements will come courtesy of close working relationship between nvidia and the Square-Enix engineers and art department to optimize the vast environments and detailed characters for nvidia GPUs.
    My pre-ordered Fermi smiles with content TWIMTBP.

Resident Moogle
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

I just like how there's only (as far as I can tell) the one actual in-engine snapshot in the entire article.

Square Enix is also investigating options to incorporate 3D Vision support.
    Not really all that hard, given you can emulate 3-D in games that don't already support it with decent results. I guess having native support for nVidia owners is better than nothing. I will be surprised though if SE does take advantage of the PC platform for better visuals (other than higher screen resolution/typical settings such as MSAA/AF) over the PS3 release.

If they had the interest to bring 3-D to the PC release though, makes me assume they're already on board to try and do the same with the PS3 (if it's possible with their current engine without crippling the FPS) given it'll be supporting it near the tail-end of the year.

Fake Numbers
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Odin
    WoW Realm
    Durotan

slightly smaller than FFXIII?
    are we going to have endless straight tunnels?

Cerberus
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Gilgamesh

Quote Originally Posted by Kaisha View Post
    I just like how there's only (as far as I can tell) the one actual in-engine snapshot in the entire article.

Not really all that hard, given you can emulate 3-D in games that don't already support it with decent results. I guess having native support for nVidia owners is better than nothing. I will be surprised though if SE does take advantage of the PC platform for better visuals (other than higher screen resolution/typical settings such as MSAA/AF) over the PS3 release.

If they had the interest to bring 3-D to the PC release though, makes me assume they're already on board to try and do the same with the PS3 (if it's possible with their current engine without crippling the FPS) given it'll be supporting it near the tail-end of the year.
    I hope they don't add it to the PS3 version, keep it PC only. Not because I want deny the PS3 owners the 3D, but because the resources necessary to do 3D are significantly more than 2D (I am a PS3 owner too though fyi). They add the 3D effect, and that is just another thing SE has to look at for limitations in the coming years. I am really happy they are seriously pursueing making a 3Dvision specific code for PC though. I love my 3Dvision glasses

Sea Torques
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Shiva
    WoW Realm
    Kilrogg

interesting article, but nothing really newsworthy

Chram
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Vrumpt Vegallion
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur

if they can't do 3D and make the visuals comparable to Avatar, don't bother imo.

Crackodactyl
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Odin

Quote Originally Posted by Croy View Post
    I hope they don't add it to the PS3 version, keep it PC only. Not because I want deny the PS3 owners the 3D, but because the resources necessary to do 3D are significantly more than 2D (I am a PS3 owner too though fyi). They add the 3D effect, and that is just another thing SE has to look at for limitations in the coming years. I am really happy they are seriously pursueing making a 3Dvision specific code for PC though. I love my 3Dvision glasses
    Honestly the real hardware "power" you need is a monitor/screen with a 120hz refresh rate. Stereoscopic 3D gaming takes up about the same requirements that playing on normal 3D (what we're used to) rendering does. The way they get around rendering everything twice at once, is by alternating the viewing point. You're seeing it from one eye one instance and the other eye the next. It's like alternating blinking each eye, only fast enough you don't notice the blinking.

Relic Shield
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Audrey Weaver
    FFXIV Server
    Behemoth
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Interesting, I didn't know they were planning on having HDR with gamma correction; I saw a talk at GDC a couple weeks ago on how they did that on Uncharted 2 which was extremely interesting. I wish they exposed more details on techniques they're using, and how that's affected by being on both PC and PS3.

Relic Weapons
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Lakshmi

Quote Originally Posted by nekoshoonen View Post
    interesting article, but nothing really newsworthy
    It was fluffy, but it was spreading the word, and that is A Good Thing.

A. Body
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Leviathan

PS3 is slated to get 3D support this year as well, no?

FFXI was branded with "best on nVidia" type stuff too (still shows up in the recommended system requirements). Hard to say how that will actually pan out, considering the driver/lag problems they had for a while despite that.

Sea Torques
    BG Level

I'm interested in this minigame. The cards looked like guildleves, but the article called it a minigame. Hopefully those in Alpha will shed some light on the new leakage.

The Defense is ready, Your Honor
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Lord Longhaft
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus
    WoW Realm
    Mug'thol

More Paul Walker screenshots. Man that guy is famous.

Salvage Bans
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Leviathan

More races eh?

Well, not a bad thing that's for sure. Never heard it before.

I for one always wanted a race with the agility/dex of a mithra without being stuck playing a female cat character.

The Defense is ready, Your Honor
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Lord Longhaft
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus
    WoW Realm
    Mug'thol

Woren tribe from Breath of Fire... oh wait, they're tiger guys, so nevermind.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast