+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Fitness/Muscle question     submit to reddit submit to twitter

Fitness/Muscle question

So I used to be really active and run a lot. I did track, worked as a valet, played ultimate frisbee a ton, etc etc.

Well last August I had a hernia surgery, and subsequently got into World or Warcraft. Last semester was probably my least active semester of my life. Well I'm trying to get back into Rock Climbing and Ultimate Frisbee again, but I'm having troubles.

After a few weeks, I think I finally got my lungs back, but my legs still feel super weak. I just don't have the explosiveness I used to have. But I'm working on it. The main issue, is that I keep pulling muscles in my right leg. First week back, I pulled my right hip flexor. I iced it, took Ibuprofen, and it healed. Third week I went to a frisbee tournament and pulled my right groin. After more or less the same rehabilitation it seems fine, although I still haven't ran 100% on it after a little over a week.

Question: Is this related to my hernia surgery, which was on my right side? Or is it simply a fact that I'm way out of shape? Either way, what can I do about it? Do I need to be lifting weights to strengthen my legs before running all out? Do I need to get a new leg?

Thanks in advance. I'm just sick of pulling muscles and being out for weeks when I'm trying to be active again.

Brown Recluse
    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Unicorn

Quote Originally Posted by Denchi View Post
    So I used to be really active and run a lot. I did track, worked as a valet, played ultimate frisbee a ton, etc etc.

Well last August I had a hernia surgery, and subsequently got into World or Warcraft. Last semester was probably my least active semester of my life. Well I'm trying to get back into Rock Climbing and Ultimate Frisbee again, but I'm having troubles.

After a few weeks, I think I finally got my lungs back, but my legs still feel super weak. I just don't have the explosiveness I used to have. But I'm working on it. The main issue, is that I keep pulling muscles in my right leg. First week back, I pulled my right hip flexor. I iced it, took Ibuprofen, and it healed. Third week I went to a frisbee tournament and pulled my right groin. After more or less the same rehabilitation it seems fine, although I still haven't ran 100% on it after a little over a week.

Question: Is this related to my hernia surgery, which was on my right side? Or is it simply a fact that I'm way out of shape? Either way, what can I do about it? Do I need to be lifting weights to strengthen my legs before running all out? Do I need to get a new leg?

Thanks in advance. I'm just sick of pulling muscles and being out for weeks when I'm trying to be active again.
    You are out of shape. You need to work yourself slowly back into shape. Make sure you stretch first.

Old Merits
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Carbuncle

I had this same problem after I quit playing basketball competitively. Played in college for a year then transfered schools. Proceeded to drink and party for the next 3 years and gained 45 lbs. I finally decided to take it slow at first. Pushing yourself will only frustate you and lead to more injuries. Stretching is key. It really helped a lot. Throwing in a few weight sessions during the week might help also. After a few weeks of getting back in the groove of things is when I started going all out again. Just takes a bit of time. Your mind adapts much more quickly than your body will :/

Sea Torques
    BG Level

I'm by no means an expert, but you probably need to do some serious strecthing. Being inactive over long periods and (most forms of) cardio exercise will both shorten your leg muscles.

The Optimistic Asshole

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Tyche Six
    FFXIV Server
    Tonberry

Probably going too hard too fast. Ease back into it. Just because you could do "x" in "y amount of time" a year ago doesn't mean you can go right back to that pacing.

You want explosiveness? I prescribe you squats.

Cerberus
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

If it's been more than 6 months since your hernia surgery, it should be completely healed. I had one myself. Your diet can really come into play about the problems you are having with pulling muscles iirc. Go look on webmd or something.

Tonko

Stretch before, and after you do anything. Drink more fluids, and eat more protein. Amp up your activity slowly, don't expect to be back where you were right away.

Foods to eat!

Salmon/Almonds/Fruits/Vegetables/Whole Grains/Yogurt

Oh and if you are getting back into running and like to drink occasionally, some studies have shown that drinking 1-2 glasses of Red Wine helps!

About to order some Cline Red Zinfandel soon!

Banned.

BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Serif View Post
    Foods to eat!

Salmon/Almonds/Fruits/Vegetables/Whole Grains/Yogurt

Oh and if you are getting back into running and like to drink occasionally, some studies have shown that drinking 1-2 glasses of Red Wine helps!

About to order some Cline Red Zinfandel soon!
    Fruits are a horrible idea

The Optimistic Asshole

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Tyche Six
    FFXIV Server
    Tonberry

On the topic of good fruits for working out and boosting GI, Dates are fucking disgusting. Seriously, fuck dates.

Old Merits
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Valefor

I don't think there's any correlation between right side hernia surgery and the right leg ailments. Was it an inguinal hernia?

I agree with everyone that's said you're just doing too much too soon. You said you were fit before, but just had "the most inactive" semester/period (paraphrase). It's not like riding a bike as far as fitness goes - you don't lose it extremely fast but you do lose it. You have to ease back into it, and listen to your body... if it's saying "Maybe I shouldn't push it," then listen.

Banned.

BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Tyche View Post
    On the topic of good fruits for working out and boosting GI, Dates are fucking disgusting. Seriously, fuck dates.
    If you're venting i am as well, ahhhhh my nipples burn. How the fuck do ppl do cardio all year round.

Old Merits
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Valefor

Swim at the Y? Use a treadmill/elliptical is it's butt-cold and you don't have cold weather gear. :D

Banned.

BG Level

My gym is primarily Eastern European immigrants, not the cleanest of peoples. I'd dip my toe in that pool and get the fucking plague.

I've just been lazy and keep forgetting to tape up my nipps before i work out.

Old Merits
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Valefor

Try Bodyglide (no they don't endorse me or anything!)

The Optimistic Asshole

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Tyche Six
    FFXIV Server
    Tonberry

I love going to the Y!. Been there I think 9 of the last 10 days. Only chicks run the treadmills, so you have eyecandy to stare at and motivate you (although I guess being the only dude who's not 80 years old and walking at 30 minutes a mile on a treadmill could be a turnoff). You'll get the occasional fatass twat trying to lose weight and completely fuck up your groove though. It's like delivering a baby, just don't look toward the mess and you'll be fine.

Conejita's Jolly
    Chaparrita's Dulce
    Trigger warning: Fuck your feelings.

BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by residue View Post
    If you're venting i am as well, ahhhhh my nipples burn. How the fuck do ppl do cardio all year round.
    Well, I use the national's football jersey which is 100% polyester. Never have my nipples bothered me.

http://img26.imageshack.us/img26/3623/25869611zk7.jpg

My favourite:

http://img18.imageshack.us/img18/9286/65377438xg5.jpg

I personally prefer not to stretch cold. I do a brief warm up, trying to hit all the movements i'd make in a game. those tend to be a light warm up jog, high stepping, walking on the balls of my feet, walking on the sides of my feet, walking on my heels, doing quick side step things.

I'll stretch throughout my work out and at the end but I feel that cold warm ups do absolutely nothing for you.

The Optimistic Asshole

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Tyche Six
    FFXIV Server
    Tonberry

I'll startout whatever I do really light for about 10 minutes (whether it be running, rowing, biking, swimming, w/e), then work into the workout pace. Stretch afterwards (sometimes )

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast