▲▲

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Pikarya Saisei
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur

18% tax on sugary drinks...

http://imgshack.info/images/773rjgwl5akjgddvmanj.jpg

WCAX.COM Local Vermont News, Weather and Sports-NY gov proposes 18% obesity tax on drinks

The American Beverage Association says Governor Paterson's proposed "obesity tax" on soda doesn't make sense -- because sugary drinks are just 1 of many causes of obesity.

Paterson wants an 18% tax on soda and other sweet drinks containing less than 70% real fruit juice.

The idea is to discourage consumption of high-caloric beverages and raise $404 million next year toward the state's multibillion dollar budget gap.

State officials say almost one in four New Yorkers under age 18 are obese, and at higher risk for expensive illnesses like diabetes and heart disease.

The beverage lobby group says it's illogical to single out soda for an obesity tax. The group says the focus should be on promoting balanced diets and exercise.

But the state Health Department says this could be just the first in a series of taxes on unhealthy food products.

I'll change yer fuckin rate you derivative piece of shit
    BG Level

Hmmm.

8 ounces of Coke = 100 calories. 26g of sugar.

8 ounces of Orange Juice = 122 calories. 29.5g of sugar.

What classifies as a "sweet beverage" again?

Relic Horn
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Where is the 18% tax on fastfood or restaurants that serve oversized portions?

▲▲

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Pikarya Saisei
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur

Quote Originally Posted by archibaldcrane View Post
    Hmmm.

8 ounces of Orange Juice = 122 calories. 29.5g of sugar.
    I didn't even think about this, hell even just plain, basic OJ is like 22g of sugar lol.

Tonko

OJ isn't near as popular and they wouldn't make money off of it.

Relic Shield
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Unicorn

Quote Originally Posted by Tonko View Post
    OJ isn't near as popular and they wouldn't make money off of it.
    also, fruit juice is generally not recommended as a replacement for fruit as it does contain much more sugar than the fruit itself. That being said, unlike soda, fruit juices do provide some positive nutritional benefits and as such do serve a purpose within a healthy diet, whereas soda as an example contains solely empty calories. "Empty calories" defined as calories which contain no beneficial nutritional makeup, nothing but energy without any of the vitamins and nutrients that are required by our bodies to function properly.

I think this is a good idea actually, lol. Juice may have a lot of sugar in it, but having sugar in moderation isn't a bad thing. It has vitamins and all that good shit in it anyway. Soda on the other hand, on top of the fuckton of sugar in it, has high fructose corn syrup and food coloring and all that shit.

Edit: Beaten.

Sea Torques
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Fenrir

Drink diet! Then all you get is cancer!

Obesity problem solved.

United States of Smash!
    BG Level

And isn't fruit sugar in fruit juice a more complex carbohydrate than the sugar used in sodas and therefore takes longer for your body to absorb so it is not as bad for you as refined sugar used in sodas?

Soda should just use cane sugar. Like Hansen's!

EDIT: GODDAMNIT YOU MOTHER FUCKERS GOT ME 5000 POSTS NOW I HAVE SOME FAGGOT TITLE

BG Level

For diabetuus or things like that, yes high fructose corn syrup is worse.

But from a purely Obesity standpoint, it's calories in vs. calories out, and juice has more calories per ounce than soda does.

Of course, noone drinks a 64-oz big gulp of orange juice, but if they just want to demonize "sugary drinks" that don't have fruit juice...it's kind of silly.

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Shiva
    WoW Realm
    Azuremyst

Why not just cut the middleman and tax fat people for having to look at em?

I'd vote for that.

▲▲

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Pikarya Saisei
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur

Quote Originally Posted by Guitarman View Post
    This

Relic Shield
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Unicorn

Quote Originally Posted by archibaldcrane View Post
    But from a purely Obesity standpoint, it's calories in vs. calories out,
    This is a complete fallacy actually.

Quote Originally Posted by Stumblingdrunk View Post
    also, fruit juice is generally not recommended as a replacement for fruit as it does contain much more sugar than the fruit itself. That being said, unlike soda, fruit juices do provide some positive nutritional benefits and as such do serve a purpose within a healthy diet, whereas soda as an example contains solely empty calories. "Empty calories" defined as calories which contain no beneficial nutritional makeup, nothing but energy without any of the vitamins and nutrients that are required by our bodies to function properly.
    This is all true, I would add that fruit juice also doesn't contain caffeine, which combined with sugar (which also may be mildly addictive) can create a habit that leads to being overweight.

The key is always everything in moderation, if the people who drink cans and cans of soda a day switch to drinking the same amount of juice, they're still just as likely to develop the health problems targeted by the report (obesity/diabetes).

BG Level

Also (and I kinda never understood why beverage manufacturers don't do this) Coke should introduce a "Coke-New York Style" with Vitamin C...and hell, B12 or something supplements, so that it not only has less calories than orange juice, but also is more nutritious.

And it could be mexican-style coke with cane sugar instead of HFCS.

I'd lol.

Yoshi P
    BG Level
    WoW Realm
    Arthas

Quote Originally Posted by Kiro View Post
    Soda should just use cane sugar. Like Hansen's!

EDIT: GODDAMNIT YOU MOTHER FUCKERS GOT ME 5000 POSTS NOW I HAVE SOME FAGGOT TITLE
    Maybe they would if corn syrup wasn't far cheaper, due to subsidies on corn, and tariffs on cane sugar.

BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Stumblingdrunk View Post
    This is a complete fallacy actually.
    Defend yourself. Studies I've seen have shown that, for example, "glycemic index" of type of calories consumed had no effect on weight gain or loss. Or are you referring to something else?

Relic Shield
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Unicorn

Quote Originally Posted by Tristam View Post
    if the people who drink cans and cans of soda a day switch to drinking the same amount of juice, they're still just as likely to develop the health problems targeted by the report (obesity/diabetes).
    While this is true, it just doesn't happen. People simply do not over indulge on fruit juice in the same manner as they do with soda.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 ... LastLast