BG-Wiki Search
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: SW Apollyon (Mimics)     submit to reddit submit to twitter

New Merits
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

SW Apollyon (Mimics)

Does the vortex open if the first chest you pick is Time/Restore/Items?

If not, any way a BLM could manage to solo a mimic to open Vortex?

Thanks!

BG's most likeable Québécois
    Pens win! Pens Win!!! PENS WIN!!!!!

BG Level

Vortex open on the first Mimic you kill

aka it needs to be a mob

STR-1 DEX-1
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Kujata

I asked if anyone has any successful attempts at soloing a mimic(well SW) in the low man limbus thread a while back. Don't think anyone has really tried, and if they have they didn't post about it.

A few mentioned that they thought it would be very/too difficult to do though I believe.

It's a very easy duo zone though.

An exploitable mess of a card game
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Gouka Mekkyaku
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Diabolos

Someone said you cant get drawn in if you use ranged attacks from max distance so that could allow for soloing

New Spam Forum
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Phoenix

Well you have to keep in mind of the race of the person that starts it. Let's say I start Apollyon SW (that is, I select the zone, and get in first). You have to kill only the Mithra fomor to really move on.

One of them seems to open the vortex, and the other seems to pop the coffers, but that's just from my experience. Also, the fomors are a real pain in the ass to pull because they link, and soemtimes the race you need are stuck in the back.

Also I've done 6 people party in apollyon Sw. it's relatively easy. I don't know about soloing though.

Someone said you cant get drawn in if you use ranged attacks from max distance so that could allow for soloing
    You need a second person to pop it so you can ranged from a far enough distance, and BLM ranged doesn't do enough damage to actually kill things

More related response: You can, but you need manafont and a good nuking/idle set. Rest halfway, use a couple t4s to get ugga active, manafont and cycle AM2s until dead. You should macro to idle gear during cast and switch to nuking gear just before it ends, don't use spellcast for this. It is not sleepable and you can't outrun it, which makes the idle gear very important.. it should not be hitting for more than 60 with phalanx up and a decent idle set. Stoneskin/blink let you get your first few casts off, and after that manafont lets you finish. If you're having trouble, bring a BRD BLU or WHM as light sleeps stick and that's the only difficult part of the zone for a solo BLM.

Relic Shield
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

Quote Originally Posted by Yugl View Post
    I'd love to see you actually popping it from '24. You can't get back out to that distance, after popping the chest, so you're pretty much out of luck there.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Gouka Mekkyaku
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Diabolos

Quote Originally Posted by Massimo View Post
    I'd love to see you actually popping it from '24. You can't get back out to that distance, after popping the chest, so you're pretty much out of luck there.
    I was responding to the person who said they never heard of a solo attempt more so than I was responding to the OP. I'm not sure if this works, but I've also heard of WHMs using RR3 to aggro/wipe/RR from chests. If that works then you could have a RNG use an RR item and try that. In relation to what the OP asked for, I think Thorny's strategy is your best bet.

Edit: I haven't seen the RR strategy in action, but I have met leaders that ask their WHMs to RR3 and chest each chest until they find the item chest.

I was responding to the person who said they never heard of a solo attempt more so than I was responding to the OP. I'm not sure if this works, but I've also heard of WHMs using RR3 to aggro/wipe/RR from chests. If that works then you could have a RNG use an RR item and try that. In relation to what the OP asked for, I think Thorny's strategy is your best bet.

Edit: I haven't seen the RR strategy in action, but I have met leaders that ask their WHMs to RR3 and chest each chest until they find the item chest.
    The ranged thing DOES work, both here and golden salvage, however in apollyon the mimics will not depop after you do ranged unless you die so the person doing it needs to be careful to not walk back within 20' of any past ones. It cannot be pulled off solo because you need to get hate from over 20' away, and solo popping it you will never be able to get past 20' again.

New Merits
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

Quote Originally Posted by Thorny View Post
    More related response: You can, but you need manafont and a good nuking/idle set. Rest halfway, use a couple t4s to get ugga active, manafont and cycle AM2s until dead. You should macro to idle gear during cast and switch to nuking gear just before it ends, don't use spellcast for this. It is not sleepable and you can't outrun it, which makes the idle gear very important.. it should not be hitting for more than 60 with phalanx up and a decent idle set. Stoneskin/blink let you get your first few casts off, and after that manafont lets you finish. If you're having trouble, bring a BRD BLU or WHM as light sleeps stick and that's the only difficult part of the zone for a solo BLM.
    That's exactly what I was looking for, thanks a lot!

Edit: Does the mimic regen back to 100% HP if you die and it 'morphs' back to normal chest?

Quote Originally Posted by *Blaize* View Post
    That's exactly what I was looking for, thanks a lot!

Edit: Does the mimic regen back to 100% HP if you die and it 'morphs' back to normal chest?
    I'm not sure, but I don't think you can get back up anyway if you die there.

sounds like a pet job would work well for getting its attention and allowing someone w/ ranged attacks to fight from a distance. unfortunately pet jobs aren't so hot at...well...anything else rendering the value extremely limited.

Brown Recluse
    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Unicorn

I think a BLU/NIN could Solo a Mimic. I can stun Death Trap pretty easily. Just zerg the crap out of it like it was an Imp. Having a back up plan would be good just in case something happends.

Melee Summoner
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph
    WoW Realm
    Lightbringer

Not sure about solo as BLM but wiki stated BLM and RDM could duo.

RDM CS nuke but will likely to die in the process.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Gouka Mekkyaku
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Diabolos

Random question since I dont want to make thread about this: Does Tomahawk work on Omega?

Bagel
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Valefor

Random question since I dont want to make thread about this: Does Tomahawk work on Omega?
    I have no idea but there is a sticky for random questions at the top of this forum.