+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Student beaten to death at boot camp for internet addicted kids

Searched for this being posted here already and could not find it.
    Credits to GM Dave's Bannable Offenses blog: "There Are No Words," for bringing this story to my attention yesterday, in what was a very emotional and serious post for him.
    Edit for title: "kids" should be "people/teens".

Link:
    Global Times - Student beaten to death at boot camp

By Wen Ya

A teenager sent by his parents to a boot camp to cure his Internet addiction died after he was beaten by camp supervisors, police in the Guangxi Zhuang Autonomous Region claimed yesterday.

The three teachers who allegedly beat Deng Senshan, 16, were detained by local police Sunday, Deng Fei, the boy’s father, a businessman from Ziyuan county, told the Global Times yesterday.

“We are investigating a case where a high school student was beaten to death by his camp supervisors. The case is still under investigation,” a police officer at the Jiangnan branch of Nanning Public Security Bureau said.
    He refused to give further details.

Deng graduated from Ziyuan No. 2 High School in Guilin in July and was sent to Guangxi Qihang Survival Training Camp, a branch set up by Guangzhou Self-help Teenager Development Training Center on Saturday by his parents.

They had read an ad about the camp online and hoped the experience would help rid their son of his Internet addiction.

Deng Fei paid the camp 7,000 yuan ($1,024) for one month of training.
    He signed the camp agreement that said it aimed to help children to become independent and rectify their bad habitats by “close management with training teachers.”

“Our methods are tough but do not include torture or other methods that might damage a child’s health,” reads the mission statement.
    But his son was put in solitary confinement within hours of his arrival and was then beaten to death by his trainers after they “scolded” him for running too slowly, Deng said.

“My son was very healthy and was not a criminal. He just had an Internet addiction when I left him at the camp.

“The police informed us that our child had died on Monday morning. We can’t believe our only son was beaten to death,” the father said.
    The teachers who beat Deng realized he was badly injured and sent him to hospital in Wuxu town three hours later. He was declared dead about 3 am Sunday – 10 minutes after he arrived at the hospital, Deng Fei said.

The boy’s medical record, which was faxed to the Global Times, read: “The boy showed no response to emergency treatment.

“He arrived with a very weak heartbeat and could not breathe. He was exhausted after being beaten. We were unable to save him.”

The victim’s father was notified by the police of his son’s death and rushed to the town. He called the camp but officials there denied the incident had taken place.

The camp’s principal, a man surnamed Xia, denied Deng had been beaten by his teachers and told the father his son was sent to hospital because of a serious fever.

“But I was told the truth by my relative who is in the local police force,” the father said.

After arriving at the local funeral parlor to identify his son’s body, he saw
    “blood all over the his face” and “wounds on his wrists were bruises from where had been restrained by handcuffs.”

Photos of Deng’s body shown to the Global Times show visible injuries.
    The forensic doctor, surnamed Gan, who carried out a postmortem examination on Deng refused to answer any question when contacted by the Global Times.

“The teachers promised me that they would not use any physical punishment on my son when I dropped him off,” Deng Fei said.

Some 40 people, including parents and Deng relatives, are calling for an investigation and demanding the camp be closed down immediately.

“We’re planning to sit before the local government for a protest tomorrow. If they don’t give us justice, we will go to the camp to confront them,” Deng said.

Resident Moogle
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

What the..................., China sure has a rough boot camp.

I can't even get myself to make a joke of the whole "Chinese" & "Internet addict" thing.

The God Damn Kuno
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kuno Sedai
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Why would they have a camp to cure people from work? I don't get it.

St. Fiat
    THE TIME FOR QUESTIONS
    HAS PASSED

BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Not Kuno View Post
    Why would they have a camp to cure people from work? I don't get it.
    COMMUNISM!

You wouldn't know that though because you've demonstrably never picked up a book nor educated yourself on the matter. Let me guess, overweight housewife?
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Allyra Arianos
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    WoW Realm
    Windrunner

that's so sad :/

Ridill Ninja Lotter
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Lol Drg
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    WoW Realm
    Lightning's Blade

Wow, if you're gonna kill a kid sent to boot camp, why not one of the annoying fuckers that are constantly on Maury/Jenny Jones/Ricki Lake/Sally (wow are any of those still on the air?)

Banned.

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph
    WoW Realm
    Arthas

Guangxi Qihang Survival Training Camp
    Looks like he failed.

The Anti Miz
    The Anti Miz of the House of Weave

BG Level

sure wish i could go into my sl*nt shtick in a topic like this, but alas i cannot because the gentle people in general cannot handle the truth.

i will however say this is an unfortunate incident. but its a good thing he didnt live in the states, our internet is so much better than their internet. his addiction would have been even worse!

Sea Torques
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Senoska View Post
    Looks like he failed.
    Quote Originally Posted by Global Times View Post
    He arrived with a very weak heart rate
    I don't know. He was put under survival training at the survival training camp, which he survived. Then he died within minutes after leaving the camp. More like camp fails?

Sea Torques
    BG Level

What awful parents.

You wouldn't know that though because you've demonstrably never picked up a book nor educated yourself on the matter. Let me guess, overweight housewife?
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Allyra Arianos
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    WoW Realm
    Windrunner

Quote Originally Posted by Alishe View Post
    What awful parents.
    did you not even read the article?

there is nothing wrong with what their parents did considering china's culture

You can't pause an ass beating, stupid!

I'll change yer fuckin rate you derivative piece of shit
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Ksandra View Post
    did you not even read the article?

there is nothing wrong with what their parents did considering china's culture
    Maybe they should just tell him to get off the damn computer.

Really now.

Campaign
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Sean Kipling
    FFXIV Server
    Midgardsormr

Quote Originally Posted by archibaldcrane View Post

Really now.
    ^

If you have to send your kid to a camp for that then you're failing as a parent in my book.

Canada
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Mlle Skjie
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Sylph
    WoW Realm
    Madoran

Quote Originally Posted by archibaldcrane View Post

Really now.
    Going to have to agree. Paying someone $1000 to do your parenting for you is shitty. This isn't excusing them killing the kid, but these are shitty parents.

(PS: World has too many people in it already)

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Allyra Arianos
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    WoW Realm
    Windrunner

you are assuming a lot about the kid in that situation. for all we know he wasn't eating/sleeping/refusing to work.

amazingly enough, sometimes good parenting isn't enough. if someone is really in trouble there is nothing wrong with seeking help.

to say the parents are to blame for his death is just ridiculous imo.

Banned.

BG Level

Confucianism

Old Merits
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Valefor

Obviously the kid was rebelling at the camp because his parents just lost him his job at brogame.com

BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by BRP View Post
    Confucianism
    /slowclap

BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Ksandra View Post
    you are assuming a lot about the kid in that situation. for all we know he wasn't eating/sleeping/refusing to work.
    And you aren't assuming a lot about the kid in that situation?

CMAAAAAAANNN