Item Search

BG-Wiki Search
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Summoner Gear - The New Standard

the past two updates, mini-expansions included, really revolutionized summoner's gear, and i want to now review and discuss the changes to each possible gearset.

BP rage physical
    as i see it, current best phys bp setup, ignoring mythic, is the following:

fay crozier with +7 attack(current known maximum)

karura hachigane/marduk's tiara

sacrifice torque OR
    beak necklace with +5 attack

2 ruby earrings with +5 attack each

royal redingote with acc/atk

summoner's bracer's +1

angel's ring with +4 acc(acp11)
    Evoker's ring

astute cape

Evoker's Spats +1 OR
    Marduk's shalwar/Oracle's braconi OR
    Herder's Subligar

summoner's pigaches +1

*as far as i know(i'm probably wrong on this), there's no options with attack or acc on waist, and no atk or decent acc bonus on back.

*ruby earrings personally are painfully rare, i've been farming damn near daily since the last update and have yet to even see a second one. aside from that, the acc earrings from acp7 are minor at best in my opinion, so summoning earring would probably be better

BP rage Magical
    current best magical bp rage setup, using +skill as macc.

mythic pole with +10 skill OR
    fay crozier with +4 MAB(current known max)

marduk's tiara

summoning torque

diamond earring with +2 MAB

summoning earring

Summoner's Bracer's +1

evoker's ring

astute cape

marduk's shalwar or oracle's braconi

Marduk's crackows or nashira crackows

astute cape

brocade obi with +3 MACC

*there's not much in the way of MAB in augmented gear, only minor bonuses, hopefully they will fill out better with augments from MKD or FOV.

*no second ring, alot of slots are +skill

*+skill giving macc is still not tested.

these are the big two damage sets, i'm pretty sure there might be a piece or two of augmented gear i missed.

HMP set doesn't need much discussion, current cap is somewhere around +43, with food at an even +50.

-bp timer cap is now at -19, which is now is roughly +32% haste, which means 4 BPs during astral flow and potential to do crimson howl/hastega rotation without break.

+skill cap is now 349, +80 breaking 400 mp siphoned from triple element bonus. i suspect there might be another point or two to squeeze out there, from either MKD or FOV. cap skill also means crimson howl lasts 110 seconds.

one big topic i'd like to discuss here is the potential need to balance accuracy through +skill or +Acc against +attack. my current build for predator claws, including merits gives +36 attack (not counting sac torque, karura hachigane, or relic+1 feet, 5 merits), +21 acc(not counting af+1 legs and relic+1 hands bonuses, 2 merits) and 315 skill(8 merits). i'm still off from attack cap by roughly 6 attack with the sacrifice of +3 skill, i don't know where i could end up with acc.

discuss.

Bagel
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Reapz Sjc
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

Brocade Obi is +3 MACC not MAB

Sandworm Swallows
    BG Level

attk+15 vs crit+3% go

I didn't get attk+ on my RR because I have smn doublet, and I feel that in lieu of lack of testing that crit+3% is at least comparable if not even/better. Could always be wrong, and if so I would mourn the uselessness of my relic body for BPs, but until someone proves otherwise I'd say summoner's doublet is just as fine as attk+15.

RIDE ARMOR
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

Shouldn't ya consider a Dark maigc build for SMN/SCH if ya talking about the best setups for SMN

Quote Originally Posted by Rezeak View Post
    Shouldn't ya consider a Dark maigc build for SMN/SCH if ya talking about the best setups for SMN
    It would probably be easier to just discuss Rage BP setups, as everything else is straightforward, or fringe.

Best I've gotten from crimson key

>The Implying
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Jeryhn Astracrown
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus

As a summoner, skill over cap is what's going to affect your accuracy the most. Therefore the general rule of thumb is if you can use a slot that doesn't have massive amounts of summoning skill in it (see Evoker's Ring and Summoner's Bracers) for avatar attack power, you should use it.

Looks as though you're missing some slots in those two setups, btw.

You should be maintaining enough accuracy (ideally, all of it) through summoning skill. If you're going to put a Redingote on SMN, make the first augment Avatar MAB/MACC, and play it fast and loose with the second augment. There's an option for physical BPs through the Summoner's Doublet, and ranged attack +15 is only going to benefit Titan.

Summoner merits should also be +5 in both attack and magic attack.
    There can be no compromises here.

I would leave the ring and bracers in fulltime, unless you're using Carbuncle or Diabolos (then switch out the bracers). I would also stick to Sacrifice Torque for physical BPs, if only for the latent effect preventing a sleeping summoner.

As for your ideas about Crimson Howl, it only adds as much attack as Warcry. In this game of two-handed melee damage dealers, I'd rather go with Ecliptic Growl/Howl as a Ward focus for a melee-based party on a good moon phase.

Relic Shield
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Shiva

I'd really like to see this expanded upon --

Now that there are better gear sets, what's best for group 2 merits?

Cerberus
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

I'm more interested in Pet: MAB and Pet: Crit + %. Since the moogle add-on allows the crit% on the mage headpiece.. I wonder if you can get any on the fay weapon or FoV.

>The Implying
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Jeryhn Astracrown
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus

Quote Originally Posted by Darkrift View Post
    I wonder if it really is conisdered a ranged attack by the game. It looks like a ranged attack to me and I would assume it is... but this is ffxi, and I could see it being a normal attack. It would be cool to get some tests on this / confirmation.
    Well, both Rock Throw and Megalith Throw can be used at longer ranges (only as wide as a Bow/Gun WS would, mind you) and hit something without creating a range error.

Also, they both tend to suck horribly since the RNG nerf, and they can still be used on Raubahn if he negates melee damage in the Alexander BC (found this out w/ doing shits and giggles). If you wanted to test it, I suppose you could go fight some Ahrimans and hope they put up arrow shield.

I'm going to go with the both of them being considered ranged attacks.

Point is, you're getting both accuracy and attack if you choose the MAB augment on the Redingote. If you want something to benefit physical Bloodpacts, you have to choose between accuracy, attack or DA/Crit (the latter of which I'd see as being the "strongest").

Ridill
    BG Level

Megalith Throw is definitely ranged, it went from semi-halfass useful to utter and complete shit when the original rng nerf hit.

Ridill
    BG Level

We don't know. Feel free to test.

Personally I'd go with marduk, just because we know they're better for magic and we have too much inventory regardless. (hi2u 5+ necks alone)

>The Implying
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Jeryhn Astracrown
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus

Quote Originally Posted by Darkrift View Post
    So back on gear topic...

Whats better to BP in?

Af1 legs vs. Marduk/braconi

I go with AF1 +1 legs, because i dont have the latter....

BUT if i did I think I would still go with the AF1 legs. I am a believer that legs and relic hands stack.

People who think otherwise imo are living in the past. I have seen some testing on KI.com that semi proved they do stack.

Also have we figured out how much smn magic skill adds to acc? Like

1 skill = 1 acc?

Do af+1 legs add 10 acc? If so then they are superior.
    Disagree. Marduk/Braconi add summoning skill, which means +accuracy on magical Bloodpacts as well.

For the record, the artifact legs do stack with the bracers. The amount on both items is just pretty small (probably like +5 or so on both).

Ridill
    BG Level

Oh, and yeah I also am quite certain they do stack, I just meant we don't know the exact number.

First attempt was: Avatar perp-2. Pet attack/ranged attack+4, Magic Attack Bonus+2. Didn't screenshot cause refused, 2nd was:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v4...724_054045.jpg

I saw and really wanted the BP-5 and Perp-3 staff... but since I had 2 staves with 5 charges each I took this one and am now going to try to get a max MAB staff. I'm shocked how I can have a staff crafted for like 3k and then its sells for 70-80k and some of my THF friends telling me they paid 200k for a knife...

I tested the Fey Crozier out and I was getting the same -perp as a NQ wind staff but the BP/attack made me have to keep it (just for the time being).

E. Body
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Siren

I am getting pretty sick of their "Enhances!" descriptions.

Bagel
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Reapz Sjc
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

Quote Originally Posted by Kyte View Post
    I am getting pretty sick of their "Enhances!" descriptions.
    Agreed, they should change all the current Enhances effects to show the exact amount like they do in Augments instead of keeping us guessing imo

Assuming they even know.. lol

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast