Item Search

BG-Wiki Search
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    Yvonne

7th Anniversary Fan Art Contest—Results Are In! (05/16/2009)

http://www.playonline.com/pcd/topics.../4513/4513.jpg

When we announced this year's Fan Art Contest with a special 7th Anniversary theme, we fully expected our talented players across the globe to produce some truly spectacular specimens. Still, nothing could have prepared us for the veritable cornucopia of captivating masterpieces that were submitted!

After days and nights spent poring over more than four hundred highly worthy entries, our development and operations team members have selected the thirty pieces that we felt best captured the anniversary spirit while also exhibiting the highest degree of artistic expression.

Who will claim the coveted Crystal Prize this year?
    The results you've been waiting for are here!

In the forthcoming days, all entries will be displayed on this site, so be sure to check back for yet more exemplary artwork!
    Wow, the cupcake one took me by surprised. Definitely a step up from last year's contest. Grats to some of the folks on Deviant art for the win.

jponry
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Phoenix

wow, most of these are good but there's a few that [in my opinion] suck and don't deserve winning higher then some of the other ones.

Champion of the House of Weave
    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

My favourites:

The Cake one (winner)
    Chocobo
    Leviathan
    Girl Power
    Handful of Hope
    Sentimental Sky
    Firelight
    DS Port

Did you submit an entry?

Yvonne

Quote Originally Posted by Tomiko View Post
    Did you submit an entry?
    Yeah, I submitted this one - FFXI 2009 Entry - Rock On by ~PolishTamales on deviantART

A friend of mine did warn me about using the Rock theme since Square might misinterpret it as other properties such as Rock Band or Guitar Hero. Though, it could be Sundi as one of the judges ...LOL, but oh well, grats to my friends on Deviant Art.

There is something that makes me wonder about the judging though. Do they necessarily judge base on technique and execution or primarily on content presented in the work?

There's another artist on Deviant that did a similar piece to the Mythril Prize one. While the Mythril one did set up a nice color palette and style, there's nothing in that piece that has a strong focal point. In a similar piece, the artist may not have such a soft color palette, but there's a focal point. The artist intentionally put the WHM in the middle so the red color would visually balance out the piece. On top of that, there's quite a bit of action in it. Interaction between the characters gave it more of a charm in my opinion than the Mythril Winner, but then again, who am I to judge on good art?

THIS IS BREGOR'S STORY
    Beard +1

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

"Firelight" got shafted, I think that's one of the best ones.

You wouldn't download a car
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

2600klub

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

Quote Originally Posted by Tyramut View Post

Seconded, it's my fav.

Reminds me in some ways of the Windy Tales art style.

Sandworm Swallows
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Yvonne View Post
    Yeah, I submitted this one - FFXI 2009 Entry - Rock On by ~PolishTamales on deviantART

A friend of mine did warn me about using the Rock theme since Square might misinterpret it as other properties such as Rock Band or Guitar Hero. Though, it could be Sundi as one of the judges ...LOL, but oh well, grats to my friends on Deviant Art.

There is something that makes me wonder about the judging though. Do they necessarily judge base on technique and execution or primarily on content presented in the work?

There's another artist on Deviant that did a similar piece to the Mythril Prize one. While the Mythril one did set up a nice color palette and style, there's nothing in that piece that has a strong focal point. In a similar piece, the artist may not have such a soft color palette, but there's a focal point. The artist intentionally put the WHM in the middle so the red color would visually balance out the piece. On top of that, there's quite a bit of action in it. Interaction between the characters gave it more of a charm in my opinion than the Mythril Winner, but then again, who am I to judge on good art?
    I am not an artist nor an art critic, but I don't believe there is even a close comparison between the quality of work for the Mythril Prize and the one you present as an alternative. The one that won the Mythril Prize is plainly superior. Theme and style are nice, and having a focal point may be a goal (I don't personally think that the WHM accomplished that because it took me a moment to even locate the WHM behind the pair of PLD) and those are factors that can enhance a piece, but they can only take it so far. The Mythril Prize winner, to me of course, was just a higher quality of work to begin with.

Hayleystrator
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Wow, some of those are REALLY good.

Yvonne

Quote Originally Posted by ringthree View Post
    I am not an artist nor an art critic, but I don't believe there is even a close comparison between the quality of work for the Mythril Prize and the one you present as an alternative. The one that won the Mythril Prize is plainly superior. Theme and style are nice, and having a focal point may be a goal (I don't personally think that the WHM accomplished that because it took me a moment to even locate the WHM behind the pair of PLD) and those are factors that can enhance a piece, but they can only take it so far. The Mythril Prize winner, to me of course, was just a higher quality of work to begin with.
    The red does. If you take out the red, the image loses focus, quite a bit. Basic color theory given the earthly tones.

The reason why I'm comparing the two is the use of action and interaction between the characters. While it's given that the artist in the mythril piece does have a set style and foundation, his use of space also causes the characters and overall piece to suffer from lack of focal point. Had he changed the composition's view instead of a basic isometric view, it would have been stronger and professional (I'm pretty sure he isn't an amature either). When comparing the two pieces, one person clearly does have an idea how to set the characters and composition. The other just had to rely on aesthetics.

Also keep in mind that just because something looks perfectly airbrushed, doesn't mean it's superior. It's the content of the illustration and design that makes a piece stand out. I'm sure everyone's tastes in art isn't the same, but perfection and style doesn't always dictate quality, but the content presented. I'm just pointing the merits of the other guy, since both pieces do share common themes. Seated/Standing figures interacting with one another in an enclosed structure.

Hyperion Cross
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kai Bond
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh

That card game one, so I detect Pokemon fonts/boxes on the HP bars?! Hmmm.

The cake one really deserved it. Unique for sure.

Tiamat pic was cool, check out the colour of ebody!!

Champion of the House of Weave

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

Quote Originally Posted by Yvonne View Post

Absolutely love Cait Sith in your picture.

I don't see why you didn't win one of the minor prizes at the least. It's better than some of the other random ones like the card one.

Edit: And the Chocobo reminds me of the face with the eyes off to the side.

Yvonne

Quote Originally Posted by Tomiko View Post
    Absolutely love Cait Sith in your picture.

I don't see why you didn't win one of the minor prizes at the least. It's better than some of the other random ones like the card one.

Edit: And the Chocobo reminds me of the face with the eyes off to the side.
    Thanks, it's funny a lot of people do enjoy that Caith Sith illustration from the e-mails I've gotten. It's literally the first thing they mention.

It's nice to hear your support, but who knows. I'm pretty sure Sundi wasn't thrilled to be in that one strip I did a while back, though I heard from Elmer that one of the DEVs wore that Sundi/AV button at Fan Fest. Could be bias opinion from the judges, misinterpreting it as a Rock Band property plug, too westernized or it couldn't quite make the cut. Either way, I'm still going to continue doing animation and comics.

Relic Weapons
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

I'm not suggesting that the judges hated Westerners, but I do kind of wonder if there was any sort of latent bias to support Japanese style art over "deviating" western styles. Seems like most of the winners are done in various types of Japanese styles.

Yvonne

Quote Originally Posted by Ezhno View Post
    I'm not suggesting that the judges hated Westerners, but I do kind of wonder if there was any sort of latent bias to support Japanese style art over "deviating" western styles. Seems like most of the winners are done in various types of Japanese styles.
    Would be great to hear from Robert Peeler and/or Matt Hilton and how the art is judged. After all, it is a worldwide contest judged by a group of Square Enix employees living in Japan... or is it?

Fake Numbers
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Alexander

Relic Weapons
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

Quote Originally Posted by Katalyn View Post
    Seiryu?

New Spam Forum
    BG Level

If Buranchi is who I think he is, then that guy should of submitted his "other" art. Would of loved to see SE's reaction to that. Elvaan x mithra go.

Relic Horn
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

They all look pretty nice

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast