Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    A. Body
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus

Quebec to not sell English video games if French version exists

TheStar.com | Canada | New Quebec law turns Lara Croft into francophone
    (this isn't the tabloid magazine btw)
    Quebec Forbids English-Only Video Games in Favour of French Language | Vox ex Machina
    (also here)

New Quebec law turns Lara Croft into francophone

PETER MCCABE FOR THE TORONTO STAR

Sale of English-only video games prohibited if French version exists

Apr 01, 2009 04:30 AM
    Comments on this story (33)
    Andrew Chung
    QUEBEC BUREAU CHIEF

MONTREAL – In Lara Croft's latest action adventure, part of the wildly popular Tomb Raider video game series, the lithe heroine can demand of her evil doppelganger either, "What the hell are you?" or, "Qu'est-ce que tu es, exactement?"

And that's exactly the way Quebec wants it, from now on. French language rules on video games come into force today prohibiting the sale of new English-only video games in Quebec if a French version is available.

It's causing a lot of consternation among retailers and gamers alike, who fear the rules will lead to delays in video games arriving in the province, and may not accomplish what the law intends, which is to promote and protect the French language.

Ronnie Rondeau, co-owner of the eight Game Buzz stores around Montreal, said he even fears bankruptcy.

"I'm afraid it's going to cost me my business," Rondeau said. "If it really was going to make a difference, I'd be for it, but only a small number of people want to play in French. The rest don't care.

"And money-wise, it's going to hurt."

Rondeau said gamers are notorious for wanting new games the minute they come out. It's why he has had numerous midnight sales with lines stretching around the block.

It's why he even carries Japanese games that won't be available in English for months.

If there's a delay of even a few days, they'll find other options, such as buying online or across the border.

Raffy Boudjikanian, who writes a gaming column for the West Island Chronicle, agrees. "Why am I going to wait for five more months when the next big game is right there in Plattsburg?"

Rondeau cites the example of the popular Rockband game. The distributor didn't ship the English-only version for the Christmas rush, and a French version didn't arrive for six weeks.

Delays can happen because translation can lead to game "bugs," such as text not fitting into graphic boxes on screen, said Haig James Toutikian, a professional Montreal game designer, who has dealt with such bugs, which can cause a game to underperform.

"I know how much of a pain they can be," Toutikian said.

"They take up a lot of bug-tracking time."

Toutikian, who said he has friends who learned English playing video games, added, "I don't think it will encourage people to buy the French version."

In the past, technical aspects, such as different game console versions sold in North America versus Europe, prevented even games released in France from appearing in Quebec. The result was that Quebec had mostly English games available.

The gaming industry adopted deadlines to comply with the province's language charter and the "language police," the Office québécois de la langue française.

Danielle Parr, executive director of the Entertainment Software Association of Canada, said that because of the population size, it's possible a game publisher will decide it's too costly to release a French version for Quebec even if it has one for France, thus depriving the province of its game in either language.

But overall, she said, "they will see more games available in French. And that's good news."
    How has the rest of Canada not devoured Quebec yet?

Salvage Bans
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

I can't stand the way that province is run by anglophobes. It goes against what most of the other provinces stand for (diversity and tolerance would be the main ones).
    Just the other day I was talking about how amazing Montreal is because of the proactive nature of the people who live there. If only the rest of the province could come into the 21st century, too.

Pseudo-Elitist
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Leviathan

Because Canada - like the rest of the world - doesn't care about Canada.

Banned.

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ifrit
    WoW Realm
    Area 52

I think we are competing against australia to vote for the most stupid video game laws.

Relic Shield
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Orson Dara
    FFXIV Server
    Cactuar
    FFXI Server
    Alexander

Quebec has too many older fuck wads in power who are hell bent on maintaining their status quo hiding behind protecting their "culture" and language. It's pretty retarded being protectionist in a province. The amount of money from other provinces that gets filtered to Quebec is obscene.

Sea Torques
    BG Level

This is FUCKIN GAY

blax n gunz
    BG Level

What's more hilarious than the French? People who wish to emulate the French.

Black Guy from Predator.
    Uppity Negro
    Secret Admin

The Immortal Bill Duke

BG Level

Ah, French Canadians. Always good for a chuckle.

Salvage Bans
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

Quebec always does stupid shit that makes the rest of Canada shake their head at them. Most retarded law ever.

WHERE THE FUCK DID MY CUSTOM TITLE GO
    I DEMAND IT BE RESTORED
    OR A TITLE OF EQUAL OR GREATER VALUE IS PROVIDED
    Both of them. That's just a dick move.

BG Level

GB2UFreeTrade

▲▲

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Pikarya Saisei
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur

Oh Canada.

Salvage Bans
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

Don't go giving dejected sighs at Canada....just Quebec please. The rest of Canada is probably shaking their heads as well.

WHERE THE FUCK DID MY CUSTOM TITLE GO
    I DEMAND IT BE RESTORED
    OR A TITLE OF EQUAL OR GREATER VALUE IS PROVIDED
    Both of them. That's just a dick move.

BG Level

Hi2uSillyNationalism

Sandpaper Demon
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Snowman Emperor
    FFXIV Server
    Exodus
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

space bar broken TSM? or just too much spam forum?

anyway, quebec is kind of like the Texas of Canada

Skipping all the head-shaking that this makes me do, I'll get to the point. I feel bad for the none-retarded citizens of Quebec, who like video games. The people in charge need to be beaten, severely. Preserving their language, my ass.

~ Quebec ~ We breed hatred ~ (in disguise)

Quote Originally Posted by Correction View Post
    What's more hilarious than the French? People who wish to emulate the French.
    Except they don't, at least not in a sensible way.
    When I worked for a betting company I had a French Canadian call up asking to speak French but not with a Frenchman.

I think this is almost on par with Australia wanting to outlaw games with no fixed Certificates/Ratings for online play.

Banned.

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ifrit
    WoW Realm
    Area 52

Quote Originally Posted by OzzofAsura View Post
    Skipping all the head-shaking that this makes me do, I'll get to the point. I feel bad for the none-retarded citizens of Quebec, who like video games. The people in charge need to be beaten, severely. Preserving their language, my ass.
    They will back off when they realize it's not working, I'm not even worried about this.

Not that it matter, because I always ordered game online. You usually get them 1 day before, and it save me the hassle to go buy it.

Gunitsoldier

Quote Originally Posted by Athas View Post
    Because Canada - like the rest of the world - doesn't care about Canada.
    qft

Banned.

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Carbuncle
    WoW Realm
    Trollbane

seriously though, nobody cares about canada

Those who made those articles are morons. That "law" is two years old, just became active this month, and its actually an agreement between the province and the canadian leisure software association, not a law.

That agreement doesnt "forbid english-only video games", it just forces publishers that try to release a game that already has a french version somewhere, to also release that french version in quebec. It makes sense when you think about it, since thats the main language there.

Here's a link, for those who actually understand french
    Jeux vidéo disponibles en français: du «Québec bashing»? - Matin - Québec

The quebec-bashing article was only made to stir hatred towards quebec, and you all fell for it.

gg bandwagon, do some research before bashing people

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast